Thursday, July 27, 2023

E-Bike Questions Answered

 When out on the trails and roads you can see more e-bikes being used and enjoyed. Here are some of the main questions we get asked.


1. Is riding an e-bike cheating? Short answer is no. Longer answer is riding an e-bike still requires that you pedal. The motor is just assisting you along when you need it. As an e-bike owner myself I can say that I have gotten as good or better workouts when I am on my electric bike. 

2. Does a bigger battery mean I can go further between charges? No, there are many factors that go into the range of your e-bike. The biggest factor is going to be what assist level you are using, the terrain you are riding, the type of motor and the ambient temperature. I have gotten close to 50 miles on a 350w battery on flat land and have gotten 22 miles on a 500w battery on mountain bike trails. 

3. What is the max speed that I can go on my e-bike? This depends, there are 3 classes of e-bikes. Class 1 bikes have a max speed of 20MPH and can have a throttle but requires that you keep pedaling lightly. Class 2 e-bikes have a max speed of 20 MPH and have no throttle. Class 3 e-bikes have a max speed of 30MPH and can have a throttle without the requirement to pedal. There have been a couple of times where I have been going down a hill where I could roll faster than the 20mph on the bike and the motor was braking keeping the bike below the max speed. This is a good thing when riding on trails and in municipalities with bike speed limits. 

4. Are there places I cannot take my e-bike? Yes, some private land owners do not want e-bikes on their trails. Be sure to check with your local laws and the laws of where you would like to use the bike. More riders have experienced getting a ticket from law enforcement for not following the laws. 

5. Do I have to charge my bike after every ride? It depends, in most cases no. The batteries are like a cell phone or computer battery and can hold a charge for a while. If the battery is drained or down to about 25% you may want to consider charging back up to 100%. Also if you have a long ride planned, more than 20 miles it is recommended to start with a full charge.

6. Is there a minimum age for riding an e-bike? This varies state by state, here in New York the state law is 16 years of age or older.  Many of the e-bike makers do not make frames small enough for a child. 

7. Can I wear a normal helmet on a e-bike? Maybe, depends on the helmet. Some of the helmets made for road racing have crash speed ratings high enough. Otherwise we recommend looking for a helmet that specifically says that it is e-bike rated. A great resource for this 

8. Do I have to register my e-bike? Depends on where you live. There are some areas that require bikes to be registered just like cars but check with your local area.  

Having a new e-bike can open up new trails to explore. Most of us at the shop have at least one e-bike and enjoy using them. Stop in for any other questions and if you would like to take one for a test ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Win the Holidays and Stay Cycling

        The holiday season is upon us, and with it comes the temptations of indulgent foods and curling up with family and friends around de...